Finding yourself locked out of your house is never fun, but with our recent snow here in Reno and Sparks, this is an especially bad time for a lock-out scenario. If you’re unlucky enough to find yourself on the wrong side of a locked door, remember AllSafe Lock & Key and these tips.
Common Lock Out Situations
It’s normal to feel irritated and maybe a little embarrassed when you accidentally lock yourself out. But it happens more than you may think, and here are some of the most common reasons.
- You misplaced your keys – If you always keep your keys in your bag or backpack, that habit could backfire.
- You were in a hurry and a little distracted – Maybe you’re running out the door on your cell phone, or you’re late for work. Either way, feeling distracted or rushed is a recipe for a lock out.
- It was the kids or the dogs or your roommate – Maybe it wasn’t you at all! But a lock out is a lock out, no matter whose fault it is.
Tips for Avoiding Lock Outs
Since we know it’s a possibility, making a plan to deal with your lock out is a smart idea. Here’s what we suggest:
- Give a spare key to a friend or neighbor you trust – someone you can reach quickly and easily.
- Keep a spare key in your backpack or purse.
- If you have keyless entry to your garage, keep a spare hidden in the garage.
But because this spare key should be accessible only to you – and the trusted people of your choosing – here are some spots to avoid.
- In the mailbox
- Under the front doormat or above the front doorframe
- In a flowerpot near the front door
- In one of those hide-a-key spots that resemble rocks. Most of them stand out too obviously against real rocks.
These are useful tips for avoiding a lockout, but if the worst happens, remember that help is just a phone call away. AllSafe Lock & Key in Reno and Sparks is your dependable mobile locksmith, and we can help you when you need it.